There are a lot of dog boarding kennels across the country, and most of them are very good. It is essential, however, to ensure the kennel you choose is right for your dog, particularly if you own a large breed such as an Old English Sheepdog. There are many things to consider to ensure your dog will be well taken care of.
Some Obvious Things to Look For
- Does the kennel look like it is well maintained? Does it look and smell clean?
- Do the staff seem knowledgeable and caring about their charges?
- Does the kennel require its guests to have their vaccinations up-to-date?
- What is the pet accommodation like? Can you bring your pet’s bedding?
- What is the schedule for feeding and can you bring your pet’s special food?
- Is there a veterinarian on staff or close by in case of an emergency?
- Does the kennel provide other services such as grooming, etc.?
- What is the cost of your pet’s stay?
How to Prepare Your Pet for its Stay at the Kennel
Boarding any pet can be very stressful for them. Old English Sheepdogs become very attached to their owners and may experience depression while you are away. If the kennel allows it, it may be a good idea to take your dog to visit the kennel a few times before being left. Let your pet become familiar with the new environment, the new people, and perhaps do an overnight stay or a weekend before doing an extended stay.
Preparation is Key
By doing your research to find the perfect kennel for your Old English Sheepdog, and by preparing your pet for its stay, you will ensure a reasonably stress-free experience for everyone involved. This will also make future stays easier, to the point that your pet may even look forward to it.